Thursday, July 15, 2010

Moroccan lamb meatballs

This is a recipe that has been languishing in my over-full recipe folder for some time now. Mostly because I haven't had lamb mince for a while, and I can't bring myself to pay exorbitant prices for average quality lamb at the supermarket (the local butcher is not much better, mind you!). Now that we're all stocked up on the lamb front, I thought I might finally give this recipe a go.

I served this with cous cous and steamed green beans. I probably wouldn't bother with the cous cous next time, the chickpeas give it enough of a 'carby' feel. The meatballs were delicious, although I guess that relies pretty heavily on the quality of the lamb you use ;) FH Alphie thought that the sauce was a lacking something.

FH Alphie rated it: 6/10 (I think that's a bit mean, I'd give it 8/10)
Moroccan meatballs & chickpeas
from SMH Good Living, August 2009
serves 4

  • 2 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
  • 100ml milk
  • 500g lean minced lamb
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 2tbs parsley leaves, chopped
  • 2tbs coriander leaves, chopped
  • 2tsp ground cumin
  • 2tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1tsp salt
  • 2tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion, halved and finely sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
  • 2tbs tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 400g canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
  • 2tbs parsley leaves, chopped
  • 2tbs coriander leaves, chopped
  • 1tsp ground cumin
  • 1tsp paprika
  • 1tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 1/2tsp black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Soak the bread in milk for five or so minutes. Combine bread, lamb, onion, herbs, spices and salt in a bowl, and mix (with your hands) until well combined.

Roll into golf-ball sizes balls, place on a lightly greased baking tray, and bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, start the sauce. In a large frypan, cook onion in oil over med-high heat until just colouring. Add garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes and water and bring to the boil. Add chickpeas, herbs, spices, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Add meatballs and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

-Alphie

No comments:

Post a Comment