Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Lunch - Haloumi salad

Haloumi is one of FH ALphie's favourite foods. So when I dropped by the greengrocer on my way back from a physio appointment, and saw the masses of haloumi in the cheese fridge, I knew I had to buy some. I then thought, that since dinner would be a bit of a non-event tonight (we are going to see Sydney FC v Everton ant ANZ stadium), I might make something for lunch. This is a bit unusual for me, as we normally have leftovers for lunch if we are going to be at home - a chance to use up all the strange things left in the fridge.


I remembered Not Quite Nigella writing a post on a haloumi salad not to long ago, so I thought I'd try something similar.

Haloumi salad
serves 2
  • couple of handfuls of baby spinach, or other salad leaves
  • punnet cherry tomatoes, halved (I used Kumatos)
  • red capsicum, chopped
  • Lebanese cucumber, chopped
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp caster sugar
  • 250g haloumi, sliced
Combine the salad ingredients (baby spinach, tomatoes, capsicum & cucumber) in a large bowl, season to taste, remembering that haloumi can be quite salty, and toss well.


Combine the dressing ingredients (balsamic, olive oil, dijon & sugar) in a small jar, and shake to combine. Pour into a small saucepan on high heat, and bring to the boil. Once it has started bubbling, remove from heat, and return to the jar. Let cool for a few minutes, and shake again to combine.


Fry the haloumi slices in a dry, non-stick frypan, over high heat. Once they begin to colour, about 2 minutes, turn over, cook for another 2 minutes and remove from pan.

Divide the salad between two plates, top with the haloumi and drizzle with the dressing.

-Alphie

No comments:

Post a Comment