Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fish Pie

This is one of those recipes that I was strangely attracted to. If someone had told me about a pie made from tinned tuna, spinach and a white sauce I would have made a mental note to avoid it at all costs. But for some reason, when I saw this in the Good Living, I ripped it out and filed it in my mystical green folder to try later.




I tried it for the first time when FH Alphie wasn't feeling to good, and he opted not to have any, for the same reasons I did above. But, I loved it, so it made another appearance, and the second time, FH Alphie was a convert too.


Today I made if for semi-veggo (or pescetarian) FSIL and Mr FSIL, and omitted the parsley - I forgot to put it on the shopping list...


Fish and potato pie
from SMH Good Living, July 8 2008
(serves 6-8; I usually halve it)
  • 120g butter
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground white pepper
  • 3tbsp seeded mustard
  • 120g plain flour
  • 750ml milk
  • 1cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 150g baby spinach
  • 800g blue eye, diced, or 2x 425g tins tuna in springwater
  • 6-8 medium-large potatoes
  • extra butter
Put the whole, unpeeled, potatoes in a large pot of salted water, bring to the boil and simmer until cooked through. Cool, then slice into 5-10mm rounds.


Preheat oven to 180C.




Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic & bay leaves, and cook on medium-low heat until the onions are soft.



Add the mustard and flour, stir well, and cook for five or so minutes.



Take the saucepan off the heat, and add the milk a bit at a time, stirring well between additions. Put the saucepan back on the heat, and bring to the boil.




Once volcanic-like bubbles start to come to the surface, turn off the heat again, and stir in the parsley and spinach.




Gently stir through the fish, and spoon into a baking dish. Layer with the potato slices, overlapping each one, and dot with some extra butter.


Bake for 30-40minutes, until potatoes are golden, then allow to cool for 10 minutes (or more) before serving.


-Alphie

1 comment:

  1. I love fish pie. But I take leftovers to work each day, and my colleagues all hate the smell of fish pie :(

    ReplyDelete