Friday, May 20, 2011

The Lettuce Shop

I arrived home on this wet and woolly Friday, to find a carefully wrapped box of goodies on my doorstep. On Monday I ordered a seasonal fruit & veg box from The Lettuce Shop, and I had been waiting excitedly all week for Friday afternoon to arrive (not your usual reason I know!).


I rushed inside, cleared space on the bench and set to work unpacking the box. Along with the seasonal fruit & veg I had ordered 1L of milk, 2L of juice and a dozen free-range eggs. The Lettuce Shop pride themselves on using WA produce wherever possible, and only Australian if WA produce is not availible. So, the milk and juice were both from Harvey Fresh (located in the states south-west, and wholly WA owned), and the eggs were from Chittering Valley.



Yay! Delish fruit & veggies!


But it was the mixed fruit and veg box that I was most excited about. I went with the smallest box ($35), since Mr Alphie works FIFO (which for the non-WA readers is fly-in fly-out, not first-in, first-out, which is what google seems to think it means...) so is not home for dinners much.

Included in the box was;
  • 1 large cos lettuce
  • 3 large bok choy
  • 2 zucchinis
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 onions
  • 8 new (baby) potatoes
  • half a bag of mushrooms
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 3 granny smith apples
  • 3 royal gala apples
  • 6 jewel plums
  • 3 imperial manderins
  • half a rockmelon

My only gripe is the lack of garlic. Mr Alphie and I easily use a whole clove in a week, so I'll still need to head to a greengrocer to pick some up. And nextime I think I'll order a bigger box, as we eat a lot of fruit and veg in our house - it always makes up most of our trolley!


I obviously can't comment yet on freshness/shelf life, but I'll let you know how it goes!

-Alphie

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just found your blog and it is great.
    I can't wait to read your comments on freshness etc. as I am keen to try it myself. I also found a meat place that looks good too so I am going to bite the bullet with that.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fi.
    We still have the lettuce and some apples left (but not much else as I've eaten it all!), and I had the lettuce on a salad sandwich yesterday, 8 days after it was delivered, and it's still crisp bright green. I'm planning on baking the last of the apples for dessert tonight.

    I haven't found a good meat place yet - who are you using?

    -Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all looks so lovely! Although, looking at those plums I'm feeling a little despondent about the end of all the summer fruits - winter fruits are rather dull by comparison :(.

    Just as aside, I found your blog through Vogue forums... would love to see your recently arrived rabbit!

    -Kym
    (a fellow pet bunny aficionado)

    ReplyDelete